I had a great time at John F. Pitchford’s butcher’s shop as you can probably tell so for my favourite blog readers (you!) here are some extra photos from my visit:
Whilst in the shop I picked up 6 of their handmade sausages which I made into a big tray of Toad in the Hole for dinner. Why not grab some bangers from your local butcher this week and have a go!
Toad in the Hole
Serves 3 -4
60g self raising flour
60g granary bread flour or other wholemeal variety
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
1) Preheat the oven to 200°c
2) Mix the eggs together with the milk in a jug
3) Put the flours in a bowl and the add the milk and egg mixture, whisking to make a smooth batter, place in the fridge to rest until required.
4) Bake the sausages in the sunflower oil for 20 minutes in the oven,
6) Serve with steamed veggies
I hope you have fun checking out your local butcher but if you fancy visiting the Pitchford brothers I can highly recommend it. Southwell is great for a lil’ day trip, have a look round the Minster, check out the WI vegetable market on a Saturday and go say hi to the guys in the butcher’s shop.
John F. Pitchford, 1 Market Place, Southwell, Nottinghamshire, NG25 0HE